This easy vegan broccoli soup recipe will quickly become your favorite from the list of healthy recipes especially for cozy winter weekend lunches.
Vegetable soups are one of my favorite ways to use up those veggies that I often have lying around in the fridge. They are also a great appetizer opening up your senses and taste buds for the main meal.
And this easy broccoli soup is just that. With a creamy texture and minimal prep time, this vegan creamy broccoli soup will quickly become one of your favorite soups.
Why We Love This Vegan Broccoli Potato Soup
Reasons we love a vegan broccoli potato soup:
- It's made from whole foods.
- You can easily meet your daily values for produce when eating this soup.
- It's great if you are on a low-calorie diet.
- It is a really easy recipe that almost anyone can make.
List of Ingredients
To make this great recipe, you will need the following simple ingredients:
- Broccoli: broccoli really is the main ingredient of this blended soup. I highly recommend buying produce at local farmer's markets but if that is not possible than grocery stores are a good alternative. I would however encourage you to buy organic produce.
- Onion: onions are a must-have ingredient in all vegan soups. You can't really get that aroma and taste without them. So make sure you don't omit from the recipe.
- Garlic: fresh garlic cloves add to the wonderful taste of this soup. I wouldn't really recommend any alternatives but if you really don't have fresh garlic then I guess half a teaspoon of garlic powder would be a good enough substitute.
- Zucchini: if you don't want to bother with peeling the zucchinis, just buy them organic and wash them under running water.
- Potatoes: the potatoes really add to the creamy vegan broccoli soup so you don't want to miss these. Alternatively, you can use sweet potatoes but bear in mind that your soup will have a sweeter taste.
- Vegetable stock or water: vegetable stock gives the soup a more veggie-like taste but water is a great alternative
- Coconut cream (optional): I've put the coconut cream as optional because it does have an intense coconut taste that can sometimes be overwhelming. So if you are not a fan, feel free to skip.
- Pinch of salt and some black pepper
How To Make This Easy Vegan Broccoli Soup - Step by Step
Follow the below steps to make this vegan broccoli potato soup:
1. Slice the onion and fresh garlic cloves into small pieces.
2. Put the 3 tablespoons of olive oil into a large pot and add the onion and garlic.
3. Cook on low heat until the onion and garlic are soft.
4. In the meantime, wash and cut the broccoli florets. Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes. Cut the zucchini into smaller pieces.
5. Once the onion and garlic have softened, add the vegetables.
6. Stir and add the veggie broth or 2 cups of water.
7. Add some salt and black pepper to taste and cook for about 30 minutes.
9. In case you want a less thick soup, you can add some more water.
10. Serve with some toasted bread or homemade croutons and 2 tablespoons of coconut cream (optional).
- Make it spicy: sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top prior to serving.
- Add some fresh herbs.
- Add some healthy fats: sprinkle with some sunflower seeds or chopped raw cashews before serving.
In case you have some leftover creamy soup, you can store it easily in an airtight container both in the freezer and refrigerator.
Keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Simply thaw in the airtight container at room temperature and then heat up in a saucepan.
If you have the possibility, do use organic produce (zucchini and broccoli in particular). That way you won't need to peel the zucchini and will get some extra nutrients as the peel is the part of the veggie that contains the most.
Yes, you can basically make this soup with any cruciferous vegetable. If you are to add cups of cauliflower florets instead of broccoli florets, I would maybe substitute the potatoes for sweet potatoes and zucchini for carrots just to give it a sweeter taste and more pleasant color.
Sure. Just put all the ingredients in your instant pot, adjust the timer and go on with your tasks until it's done.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
If you've tried this or any other recipe from the blog, please rate it and leave a comment.
Creamy And Easy Vegan Broccoli Soup Recipe
- 1 onion
- 1 fresh garlic clove
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 fresh broccoli approx. 100 g broccoli florets
- 1 zucchini
- 2 medium potatoes
- 500 mL vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoon coconut cream optional
- pinch of salt
- black pepper
- Slice the onion and fresh garlic cloves into small pieces.
- Put the 3 tablespoons of olive oil into a large pot and add the onion and garlic.
- Cook on low heat until the onion and garlic are soft.
- In the meantime, wash and cut the broccoli florets. Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes. Cut the zucchini into smaller pieces.
- Once the onion and garlic have softened, add the vegetables.
- Stir and add the veggie broth or 2 cups of water.
- Add some salt and black pepper to taste and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, without draining, blend the vegetables either in a food processor or with an immersion blender.
- In case you want a less thick soup, you can add some more water.
- Serve with some toasted bread or homemade croutons and 2 tablespoons of coconut cream (optional).