Playing with flavor
How can you ensure your 7-month-old baby gets all the nutrients and calories they need with just 20 minutes total prep time? Why not try the Sunny Sweet Quinoa meal. It is a great combination of grains and fruit with just a slight amount of cinnamon to bring out the sweet taste of the dish.
Quinoa belongs to the grass family (so it’s not really a grain) but it’s prepared in the same way as other grains so we’ll consider it to be one for culinary purposes. Its high protein content is one of the reasons for its popularity but it’s also packed with minerals like zinc and magnesium which are all essential for your little one.
Peaches provide a good amount of fiber making them great food to relieve constipation and aid the digestive system. They are also rich in vitamins A and C which are great for immunity and skin protection.
When possible you should always choose fresh peaches as these have the most nutrients. However, in their absence canned peaches are a good substitute. The sweeter they are the better this meal will taste for the baby.
If you prefer to puree/mash foods for your baby, you can do both with the Sunny Sweet Quinoa – whichever you or they prefer.
This might not be the ideal combination of foods for the baby-led weaning but with a thicker consistency quinoa you can make it work (prepare for a mess though!).
Whichever way you choose you can be assured that you are offering your baby a delicious and nutritious meal appropriate for their age.
Sunny Sweet Quinoa
- 1 tbsp quinoa
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ medium sized peach
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Place the quinoa with the water in a pot and bring to a boil over high heat
- Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low. Continue cooking until the quinoa fully absorbs the water (should be around 20 minutes)
- In the meantime wash, peel and slice the peach
- About 5 minutes before the end of cooking the quinoa, put the peach into the pot to cook with the quinoa
- Once finished, allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before sprinkling with cinnamon