5 minutes to make your own wellness shots, this Lemon Ginger Turmeric Shot Recipe is a great addition to your morning routine to boost your immune system during the flu season.
Why we love this ginger turmeric shot recipe:
- takes only 5 minutes to make
- use a blender and strainer, no juicer
- great morning drink
- make it sweeter and your kids will love it. Perfect to boost their immune systems for a sore throat or during the flu season
- fresh ingredients with anti-inflammatory compounds, anti-oxidant properties, immune-boosting vitamins that help against free radicals, digestive issues, chronic inflammation and boost the immune system
Lemon Ginger Turmeric Shots Benefits
- Fresh turmeric root - a plant in the ginger family native to Southeast Asia. Curcumin is the major component of turmeric. Because curcumin is difficult to study and has low bioavailability not much research has been done on its health benefits. However, we know that in Eastern Asia, in traditional Chinese medicine and India (and Ayurvedic medicine) it has been used for centuries as a powerful antioxidant to heal aliments such as skin disorders, upper respiratory tract, digestive system and joint pain (source). It is believed to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties (source).
- Fresh ginger root - widely used in traditional Chinese medicine due to its antioxidant properties and anti-inflammatory properties. Studies have shown that people who consume ginger regularly have a lower risk of high blood pressure and coronary heart disease (source). It also contains antimicrobial properties that help the immune system fight bacterial and fungal infections (source).
- Lemon - good source of vitamin C. Juice of one lemon contains 50% of daily RDI for vitamin C.
- Oranges - a great source of vitamin C. One orange provides 100% of your daily RDI for vitamin C. So drinking a juice of one orange and one lemon should boost your immune system to prepare it for the flu season.
- Black Pepper - we use a pinch black pepper as it contains piperine which is a natural substance that enhances absorption of curcumin by 2000% (source)
- Coconut oil - contrary to popular opinion it is not the healthiest of fats as it does contain a lot of saturated fats and only trace vitamins and minerals (source). However, here we use it for taste and it works perfectly. You can also use extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil.
How to make a Lemon Ginger Turmeric Shots with No Juicer?
Most people don't have a juicer and want an easy way to make this immune system boosting drink.
If using organic fresh ginger root and organic fresh turmeric root then you don't have to peel them. However if they are not organic I recommend peeling in order to minimize pesticide residue.
1. Juice your oranges and lemons either by hand or using a hand juicer.
2. Place the orange juice and lemon juice in a high-speed blender together with the chopped up turmeric root, ginger root, black pepper and coconut oil.
4. Blend until you have a smooth ginger turmeric energy shot.
5. Take a nut milk bag or a fine mesh strainer and place over a measuring jug or cup and pour the mixture over to get rid of any pulp.
6. Drink or place in an airtight container in the fridge.
- store in fridge in airtight container for up to 3 days
- freeze in airtight container up to 3 months. You can make a big batch and the freeze in ice cube tray and defrost your daily shot
- thaw in the fridge overnight
This turmeric and ginger shot is a great immune-boosting drink for the whole family.
However the powerful flavor of turmeric and ginger may throw kids off. So to make it more pleasant for kids make their energy shots with more oranges and less lemon.
That will make is sweeter more than sour and will mask the tastes of turmeric and ginger roots.
You can also add some raw honey which also has antimicrobial properties and is a great addition to this anti-inflammatory juice shot recipe.
If you are looking for more drinks that support the immune system try Detox Apple Spinach smoothie with lemon, our delicious homemade electrolyte drink, or a simple homemade lemon juice recipe with honey.
More drinks recipes
If you've tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog, then please rate it and leave us a comment below!
Easy Lemon Ginger Turmeric Shot
- 2 oranges juiced replace with more lemons
- 1 lemon juiced replace with more oranges
- 1 oz fresh ginger root
- 1 oz fresh turmeric root
- pinch black pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Juice your oranges and lemons either by hand or using a hand juicer.
- Place the orange juice and lemon juice in a high-speed blender together with the chopped up turmeric root, ginger root, black pepper and coconut oil.
- Blend until you have a smooth ginger turmeric energy shot.
- Take a nut milk bag or a fine mesh strainer and place over a measuring jug or cup and pour the mixture over to get rid of any pulp.
- Drink or place in an airtight container in the fridge.
- you can make it with just lemons or just oranges, so replace the orange quantity with lemons or the lemon quantity with oranges
- use olive oil instead of coconut oil