A perfect refreshing summer drink on a hot day, this fresh lemon juice is made with just vitamin C rich, fresh lemons, cold water and honey. Perfect drink to support your immune system, and one your kids will love too.
Why you will love this fresh lemon drink recipe:
- takes 5 minutes to make
- best lemonade recipe for hot summer day
- 3 simple ingredients
- sweetened with antimicrobial honey, no refined sugars
- rich in vitamin C that supports a healthy immune system
- better than grocery store bought lemon drink as it contains no artificial colors, sweeteners or toxic ingredients
- perfect as a hot summer day party drink
Benefits of Lemon Juice
This lemon drink is made with fresh lemons, cold water and honey to taste. Homemade fresh lemon juice health benefits are that it is packed with vitamin C that supports your immune system and helps you fight viruses and diseases.
- Fresh lemons - use yellow real lemons that are a little bit on the softer side. That means they will be easier to juice and more juice will come out. Lemons are high in vitamin C (one lemon has about 51% of vitamin C RDI). They have a good amount of pottassium, Vitamin A and fiber.
- Cold water - for approximately 1 liter of lemonade you need 4 cups of water (8 cups of water for 2 liters)
- Raw honey - we prefer to use raw honey rather than any refined sugars. Firstly it is nutritionally superior as it has some vitamins and minerals, but also antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. And secondly, it mixes really well with the lemon water. I feel like 3 tablespoon of honey per 2 liters of water is just the right amount of sweetness but feel free to sweeten more or less
How to make lemon juice?
This is a simple recipe for how to make lemon juice.
1. Best way to squeeze a whole lemon without a juicer is to first roll it against the counter firmly.
2. Cut it lengthways (yes, lengthways) as that way you will get the most juice out of the lemon.
3. Squeeze it into a pitcher. You can use a small mesh sieve here to catch all the seeds or fish them out afterwards with a spoon.
4. Pour cold water
5. Add some honey and stir well.
6. Garnish with some lemon slices, add some ice and enjoy you fresh lemonade. Always stir the lemonade before pouring in a glass as the honey may accumulate at the bottom of the pitcher.
Tip: if you are using ice and have lemon drink leftover then before you next serving top with more juice of lemon and honey as the ice will dilute the lemon drink.
- store in fridge for up to 4 days; stir well before serving and add more lemon and honey if necessary
- store in airtight container in freezer for up to 3 months
- thaw in fridge overnight
- use to make lemon ice cubes by pouring the lemon drink into an ice cube tray and freezing
- sweetener - you can use other sweeteners such as coconut sugar, maple syrup or agave syrup (or even cane sugar)
- fruits and vegetables - add some fresh orange slices, cucumber slices, lime slices, strawberries to your freshly squeezed lemon drink
- herbs - top with some fresh mint or fresh basil
- make lemon drink ice cubes - pour the freshly made lemon drink into an ice cube tray and freeze. Then you can use it for other drinks and smoothies to give them a lemony flavor.
Best tips of success
- find yellow fresh lemons
- roll the lemons on the counter before squeezing to get the most juice
- sweeten to taste, add more honey if you think is necessary. You can also drink this without any sweetener
- if drinking a lemon drink ofter use a straw in order to not destroy your tooth enamel
- use very cold water
- garnish with some lemon slices
- keep in fridge for up to 4 days
- stir before pouring
Not all lemons are the same, but one large lemon should give you about 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. How much juice is in each lemon will depend on the size of the lemon.
Fresh lemonade lasts about 3-4 days in the fridge. Grocery store bought bottled lemon drink will last longer due to pasteurisation and preservatives.
There are about 16 tablespoons in one US cup. So if one large lemon gives you 3 tablespoon of juice then in order to make a cup of lemon juice you need approximately 5 and a half lemons. This will of course depend on the size of your lemons.
Take a large lemon and then roll it against the counter firmly. Then cut the lemon lengthways and juice. Cutting lengthways will make you get the best results.
Yes, you can make the same recipe using hot water. Some people love to drink homemade lemon drink with honey and hot water in the mornings.
More drinks recipes
If you've tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog, then please rate it and leave us a comment below!
Best Homemade Lemon Juice
- 4 fresh lemons
- 2 liters cold water
- 3 tbsp raw honey not for under 1 year olds
- garnish: lemon slices, mint leaves
- Best way to squeeze a whole lemon without a juicer is to first roll it against the counter firmly.
- Cut it lengthways (yes, lengthways) as that way you will get the most juice out of the lemon.
- Squeeze it into a pitcher. You can use a small mesh sieve here to catch all the seeds or fish them out afterwards with a spoon.
- Pour cold water into the pitcher.
- Add some honey and stir well.
- Garnish with some lemon slices, add some ice and enjoy you fresh lemonade. Always stir the lemonade before pouring in a glass as the honey may accumulate at the bottom of the pitcher.
- honey should not be given to children under 1 year of age due to risk of botulism