5 minute homemade banana milk recipe that is healthy and has no artificial ingredients. Made with just bananas, milk and vanilla extract. Why buy in store when you can make your own healthy banana flavored milk?
What is banana milk?
It is actually just banana flavored milk. It is very popular in Korea where it was introduced by Binggrae in 1974. And therefore you will see a few recipes for Korean banana milk.
The product ingredients include banana concentrate, milk, sugar, artificial ingredients and flavors.
Today there are many different kinds of banana flavored milk from various brands and you might even be able to find some that contain actually healthy ingredients.
However, why look in the store when at home you can make healthy homemade banana flavored milk in 5 minutes with 3 simple ingredients.
- Bananas - use a fully ripe, even a blackened banana because those ones are the sweetest. A green or a pale yellow banana just won't work in this recipe. Bananas are a great source of certain B vitamins (particularly B6 and biotin) as well as vitamin C. They are also a good source of manganese, copper, and potassium and have a fair amount of dietary fiber.
- Milk - full fat is great for kids but you can also use vegan alternatives
- Water - we use in equal parts as milk
- Vanilla extract - majority will have some sort of alcohol content. While it is minute if serving to babies purchase one with no alcohol. You also want real vanilla extract, not an imitation. This one from SImply Organic I have found to tick those boxes and is suitable for kids.
- Optional sweetener - I try and avoid sweeteners of any kind unless they are really necessary to make a recipe work. If you would like you can use honey or maple syrup here. Use honey only if giving to babies over 1 years old.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make banana milk?
Making banana flavored milk is as easy as putting all the ingredients into a blender and blending.
This is not a milk that keeps well, and due to the banana oxidization it will go brown quiet quickly so best it to drink it straight away. (Also kids won't really want to drink a brown milk unless it looks like chocolate).
- vegan banana milk - use almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, hemp milk or any other kind of plant based milk
- can be stored in fridge up to 3 days in an airtight container but it will turn brown so won't be a nice experience to drink. Best is to drink straight away.
This homemade banana flavored milk is healthy because it is made with real bananas, milk and vanilla extract. Store-bought banana flavored milk will generally not be as healthy as it is usually made with sugar, banana concentrate, artificial ingredients and flavors.
Bananas are a great source of certain B vitamins (particularly B6 and biotin) as well as vitamin C. They are also a good source of manganese, copper, and potassium and have a fair amount of dietary fiber.
Milk is a great source of calcium, protein and fats.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
If you've tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog, then please rate it and leave us a comment below!
Healthy Banana Milk
- 1 banana
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Peel the banana and place all the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- best to drink straight away because it will turn brown. It is still fine to drink if brown.
- use a vanilla extract made without alcohol and from real vanilla