In this blog post, we'll explore the wonders of a Banana Spinach Blueberry Smoothie that combines the goodness of spinach, the sweetness of blueberries, and the creaminess of almond milk. Let's dive right in!
- Fresh spinach – I tend to buy a bag of pre-washed organic fresh baby spinach because I usually don't have time to wash and sort my own spinach. In the USA conventionally grown spinach was one of the most heavily loaded pesticide crops (based on EWG Dirty Dozen) so this is really worth buying organic.
- Blueberries – it is cheaper and easier to buy frozen organic blueberries as they retain most of their nutrients and you don't have to worry about them going off in the fridge. You can also use fresh blueberries. For this spinach smoothie recipe, we stuck with frozen.
- Banana - makes the smoothie creamy and sweet. Make sure you are using ripe bananas.
This is a great smoothie for kids as you can't taste or see the spinach but they still get the nutrients.
How to make a banana blueberry spinach smoothie recipe?
My number one tip for a healthy life is to have a good blender. If you have a good high-speed blender then making healthy smoothies is easy and quick.
There are great affordable versions such as the Magic Bullet that we have used for ages. Or if you want to go full-on there is also Vitamix which is brilliant for a thousand other things too (note: affiliate links).
Here is a simple way to make this spinach blueberry banana smoothie.
1. Wash the spinach thoroughly, peel the banana, and measure out the frozen blueberries and almond milk.
2. Add the spinach to your blender first. Pour the almond milk, followed by blueberries and then the banana.
3. Blend until you have a smooth creamy texture.
Tip: if it is too creamy for you add some water.
- you can use a frozen banana if you want to smoothie to be creamier
- can use wild blueberries or other frozen berries or fresh berries that are not acidic like blackberries or strawberries
- we use almond milk in this smoothie but you can use any plant-based milk (soy milk, almond milk, cashew milk, oat milk) or dairy milk
- add a tablespoon of greek yogurt for creaminess
Smoothies are a great way to add more nutrients to your diet if you are in a hurry. You can add any of the following to this recipe
- chia seeds
- hemp seeds
- flax seeds or flax meal
- healthy fats like almond butter
- maple syrup
- top with some ice cubes
- store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes
Other nutrient-packed smoothies that are made for the whole family are the Mango Pineapple Smoothie, Detox Spinach Apple Smoothie with Lemon or the apple pie tasting Apple Banana Smoothie and Easiest Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie or even the 13 High-calorie smoothies for weight gain.
Banana Spinach Blueberry Smoothie
- ½ cup spinach
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 banana peeled
- 1 cup almond milk
- Wash the spinach thoroughly, peel the banana, and measure out the frozen blueberries and almond milk.
- Add the spinach to your blender first. Pour the almond milk, followed by blueberries and then the banana.
- Blend until you have a smooth creamy texture.
- this recipe yields two portions for children and 1 portion for adult
- if it is too creamy add some water