If you're looking to add more green leafy veggies to your diet, this simple yet delicious and refreshing green kale spinach smoothie is just the thing for you!
Healthy Green Smoothie
Smoothies are a great way to add more fruit and veggies into your diet. Especially veggies for which we know a lot of people have trouble meeting their daily recommendations.
Whether your goal is weight loss, weight gain or to have a healthy breakfast, fruit smoothies with green vegetables are one of the easiest ways to achieve those goals.
You just need to pay attention on the amounts and type of ingredients used.
Kale Smoothie Recipe
For us at home, a healthy breakfast smoothie is the think we go for when we are running out of time in the morning or need to have breakfast on-the-go.
It's about choosing a great ingredient and then making a perfect blend with some healthy fats, leafy greens and other healthy ingredients to get a delicious green smoothie recipe. And this spinach and kale smoothie is just that. Filled with amazing nutrients, but also delicious and tasty.
Go on, give it a try. I promise you will not regret it.
To make this kale smoothie recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- kale: you want to use raw kale leaves here and preferably organic to make sure you are really adding healthy ingredients to your smoothie
- spinach: fresh spinach is my absolute favorite ingredient for a simple green smoothie recipe because it has a very neutral taste that doesn't take over the smoothie. You can also replace it with swiss chard which is similar but you need to make sure then to remove the white stem in the middle because that part can be quite sour.
- apple: to ensure that your spinach and kale smoothie really has an amazing taste, you need to add some fresh fruit. And what better than some organic apples that give a subtle sweet taste and are available almost all year round
- lemon: lemons are one of the fruits I like to add to green smoothie because they add that refreshing lemonade-like taste to the smoothie and are also filled with vitamin C. You can replace it with some limes or even lime juice if you want
- flaxseed: for some healthy fats, protein and fiber, flaxseeds are my favorite additions to smoothie recipes. I also often replace them with other seeds such as chia seeds or hemp seeds
- coconut oil: another great fat to add to your smoothie to add some calories and keep you fuller longer.
- water: I almost always use plain tap water for smoothies but you can replace it with some coconut water. If you want a creamy smoothie, then you can use milk such as cow's milk, almond milk or coconut milk. Even some greek yogurt.
How To Make Spinach And Kale Smoothie Step By Step
To make the best green smoothie recipe possible, follow these simple steps:
1. Cut up all the ingredients into smaller pieces.
2. Put all of the ingredients into a high-speed blender.
3. Blend until you have a creamy and smooth consistency.
4. Pour into glasses and enjoy!
Simple as that!
Spinach and Kale Smoothie Variations And Add-Ins
There are really numerous different ways you can add variety and changes to your spinach and kale smoothie to make it taste different every day.
Here are some of my favorite ones:
- for a tropical touch add some ½ cup of pineapple and 1 banana instead of apple and lemon and have yourself a kale pineapple smoothie
- for the creamiest green smoothie, use some milk or yogurt instead of water and a tablespoon of nut butter such as peanut butter or almond butter instead of the coconut oil and flax seeds
- if you want to add extra sweetness and calories to your smoothie, add a tablespoon of honey
- make it protein - in case you need to add some protein content to your diet, you can do so by adding some protein powder
- boost your immune system - if you're battling with some colds or the flu, you can power up your smoothie by adding some fresh ginger to your smoothie (or check out Lemon Ginger Turmeric Shot recipe).
Of course. You can make it up to a day in advance and store in the refrigerator in a covered bottle or glass. Make sure to thoroughly mix it with a spoon before drinking to ensure that the consistency is evenly spread across the smoothie.
You can. I do however recommend that whenever possible you use frozen ingredients from known sources. That way you can be sure you are using organic ingredient or at least ingredients with the least amount of pesticides and toxins. I would refrain from using store-bought ready-to-blend produce packages. If that is the only option, even that is better than processed sugary foods.
You can definitely add fruit juice as a liquid component of your smoothie. However, the fruit juice should be whenever possible homemade fruit juice such as freshly squeezed orange juice/apple juice or lemon/lime juice. If you need to use store-bought juices, please make sure that they are 100% fruit juices with no added sugar.
More smoothie recipes
If you've tried this or any other recipe from the blog, please rate it and leave a comment below.
Delicious 5-Minute Green Kale Spinach Smoothie
- ½ cup fresh spinach
- ½ cup raw kale
- 1 apple
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup water
- Cut up all the ingredients into smaller pieces.
- Put all of the ingredients into a high-speed blender.
- Blend until you have a creamy and smooth consistency. Add more water if you like.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!