This best broccoli smoothie recipe is made with super healthy green vegetables high in vitamin C like broccoli, spinach and cucumber and the natural sweetness of apple. You can make it in less than 5 minutes and it is a great breakfast or snack.
Why we love this easy broccoli smoothie recipe:
- healthy breakfast for busy mornings or healthy snack
- vegan smoothie
- high in vitamin C
- high in calcium
- can make it more vegetable based but still taste nice, or sweeter with more apples
- made in 2 minutes
Broccoli Smoothie Benefits & Ingredients
- fresh broccoli - you want to pick fresh raw broccoli and place it in the blender as soon as you wash it. Broccoli that has been washed and then put aside starts to smell bad (even though it is fine to eat). This is also the reason why we wouldn't use frozen broccoli. Broccoli is cruciferous vegetable very high in vitamin C, vitamin K, iron and potassium.
- fresh spinach - too much broccoli can give a bit of an off-putting broccoli taste so to make sure we have a smoothie made with a lot of green vegetables we added fresh spinach. Spinach is rich in iron, vitamin C and vitamin E, folic acid. Iron rich foods should be paired with vitamin C rich foods (like broccoli and lemon juice) in order to optimize iron absorption.
- cucumber - adding a neutral vegetable for the nutrients
- lemon juice - used to balance out the strong broccoli flavor and to add a bit of freshness to the recipe. Lemon juice is high in vitamin C
- apples - apples are high in fiber, vitamin C and antioxidants. The nutrition of apples varies with the type of apple. We like to use fuji or gala apples for their sweet taste and natural sugars but you can use any sweet apple you like.
- water - we use water rather than milk or plant-based milk because we think it just works better with this type of smoothie. However you can use plant-based milk (oat milk, coconut milk) or any other you prefer. You can also use no added sugar coconut water.
How to make smoothie with broccoli?
1. Wash the broccoli, cucumber, spinach and apple.
2. Cut the apple and cucumber in smaller chunks so they blend more easily. Cut up the broccoli into smaller broccoli florets.
3. Place the ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
4. Pour and enjoy you bright green smoothie. Depending on what kind of apple you use the smoothie will be a little bit foamy and that is normal. Juts mix through before drinking.
Store in the fridge for up to 3 days or you can freeze it up to 3 months.
Add-ins and Variations
There are so manny ways to make a smoothie with broccoli taste good.
- make a creamy smoothie - add chia seeds, flax seeds, ripe banana or a high fat regular milk or plant-based milk
- make it more fruity - you can add frozen fruit (best is mango or pineapple for a tropical flavor), or natural fruit juice (like pineapple juice or apple juice)
- make it work for picky eaters - this is a great green smoothie recipe to add more nutrients to your toddlers/child's diet. You will need to add more apple so that for them it tastes more like apple than leafy greens
More smoothie recipes
If you've tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog, then please rate it and leave us a comment below!
Best Broccoli Smoothie
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ large cucumber
- 1-2 sweeter apples
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 2 cups water
- Wash the broccoli, cucumber, spinach and apple.
- Cut the apple and cucumber in smaller chunks so they blend more easily. Cut up the broccoli into smaller broccoli florets.
- Place the ingredients in a high speed blender (like a Vitamix) and blend until smooth.
- Pour and enjoy you bright green smoothie.
- don't use frozen broccoli or broccoli that has been washed and put to rest because its will give off a strong broccoli flavor