Easy On-The-Go Snack
Sometimes snacks can be one of the hardest meals of the day. Not because they go uneaten, but rather because it can be tough to keep them interesting. Trying to come up with new ideas and keep adding variety to meals isn’t always as easy as I want it to be.
And days out can be the toughest if you don’t want to feed your kids whatever happens to be available at the nearest shop. For me, preparation makes life so much easier. Having healthy snacks ready to go takes stressful moments during days out and makes them nothing moments instead.
These quinoa vegetable muffins seem to hit just the right balance of tasty, nutritious, filling, and perfect for little hands! Give them a try and let me know what you think.
Quinoa Vegetable Muffins Nutritional Stuff
Carrots add carbohydrates to the muffins as well as antioxidants such as beta-carotene which helps keep your eyes healthy.
Zucchinis (or courgettes) are really nutrient-dense (meaning high nutrient-to-calorie ratio) of which the most abundant are vitamins A and C. They are also rich in the minerals manganese and potassium.
Eggs are a great protein source and provide plenty of B-vitamins, as well as the essential micronutrient, choline.
Quinoa Vegetable Muffins Preparation Tips
Ideally, choose full-fat yogurt and mozzarella for the recipe if serving to a child who is younger than 2 – the additional fats are great for their growth and development.
- Top choice: Simple measuring cups and spoons
Check out our top 5 must-have kitchen appliances here for more!
Note: The above are affiliate links. We may receive compensation but there is no additional cost to you.
Quinoa Vegetable Muffins
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 1 splash olive oil
- 1 medium-sized carrot grated
- 1 medium-sized zucchini grated
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp mozzarella shredded
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 2 tsp oregano dried
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 360°F
- Put the quinoa and water in a pot, bring to boil and then simmer until the water is fully absorbed; then allow to cool
- Wash, peel and grate the carrot and zucchini
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add the grated vegetables to cook for ~10 mins; then allow to cool
- Add all the ingredients to a mixer and blend into a smooth batter
- Pour the batter into a muffin tin (should make about 6 muffins)
- Bake for ~20 mins