Who else loves pasta?
With your little one reaching 9 months of age, they should gradually be moving from smooth purees (if not baby-led weaned) to textured ones and finger food. This is important for sensory and motor skills which are poised to make big developments at this age.
The Salmon Asparagus Pasta is, therefore, the perfect meal to choose for this age since it is offering finger food which is great for the ones already customized to BLW as well as an ideal way to start experimenting with finger food if not.
Salmon is one of the best foods you can choose to build up omega 3 intake. This is very important for babies since omegas are one of the main nutrients contributing to brain growth and development.
Apart from containing numerous antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients, asparagus also have a specific nutrient called inulin (not insulin) which greatly aids in the digestive system. They are also a great source of folate and vitamin K.
Wholegrain pasta should always be chosen over white pasta since it has significantly more nutrients. Specifically complex carbohydrates (which help prolong the feeling of fullness) and minerals such as iron, zinc, and magnesium. They also have a higher protein and fiber content than white pasta.
All these ingredients are in the end topped off with olive oil for the purpose of providing some more “good” fats (other than the omegas from the salmon) to further help in the extensive growth and development of your little one at this age.
As mentioned above, this is a perfect meal to start introducing finger food to those that have been eating purees and mashed food until now. Cooked salmon can be broken up to small, soft pieces, while each of the pasta and asparagus can easily be cooked and cut up to be as soft as you think your baby can handle.
Salmon Asparagus Pasta
- ½ cup wholegrain pasta
- 1 cups asparagus
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1.3 oz (35 g) salmon fillet
- Put water to boil in a pot. Once boiled add pasta and cook for about 8 minutes or until soft
- Preheat the oven to 390ºF / 200ºC
- Wash, clean and slice the asparagus lengthways and into small pieces
- Add the asparagus and salmon onto a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Place in the oven for about 15 minutes until the salmon is fully cooked and the asparagus is soft enough for the baby to bite (should be able to smush them between your fingers)
- Once pasta is finished cut it in half and drizzle more olive oil if it is too dry or starchy
- Serve it up