These 3 ingredient fat bombs are made with coconut oil, peanut butter and cocoa powder - no natural sweetener or artificial sweeteners. They are perfect for your keto diet, or as a great snack for toddlers and kids.
What are fat bombs?
Fat bombs are a snack that is high in fat and low in carbs. They are usually consumed by people following the ketogenic diet or low carb diet.
Fat bomb recipes usually contain nut butter, cream cheese, some sort of oil and maybe artificial sweetener.
However, they can be enjoyed as part of any balanced diets. They are a great way to give you a boost of energy.
These 3 ingredient peanut butter cocoa fat bombs are high in protein and healthy fats which means they keep you full for longer. They are made from just a few simple ingredients.
- peanut butter - you can use crunchy or smooth creamy peanut butter. Make sure you use all natural peanut butter that is made from 100% peanuts. It is a source of B complex vitamins, antioxidants and protein. It has about double the fat content than protein content.
- cocoa powder - you want to buy 100% cocoa powder. Cocoa powder is the main ingredient in high quality chocolate. It is rich in polyphenols which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects
- coconut oil - high in saturated fats
- salt - salt contains sodium which your body needs as part of its essential minerals. We add it here firstly for taste, and secondly because a lot of people that follow a ketogenic diet may also be doing intermittent fasting and when fasting your body loses a good amount of sodium.
- cinnamon - gives the fat bombs a sweet taste without any added sugar
- vanilla extract - for taste
Any additional ingredients you choose may or may not be higher in carbs so if it is important for you to be keto or follow a low-carb diet then make sure you check the nutritional values before adding any other ingredients.
The nutrition in the recipe card below is calculated based on all the ingredients mentioned above.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Place in a high speed food processor the nut butter, coconut oil and cocoa powder and any other ingredients. This can also be mixed in a mixing bowl.
2. Blend until all ingredients have been incorporated.
3. Two options here - either pour the mixture into a mini muffin pan and freeze or use a cookie scoop to roll the mixture into ping pong sized balls and place on some parchment paper.
4. Freeze for 2 hours and keep in freezer until you want to consume as they may soften at room temperature. You can freeze them in an airtight container or as is (in a muffin pan or on parchment paper)
We keep ours in the freezer depending on how hot it is outside. During the summer the coconut oil melts quite quickly so before we want to eat it we take it out from the freezer.
Substitutions & Variations
- Nut butters - you can use any kind of nut butter you want, including almond butter, hazelnut butter, cashew butter or a mixture of nut butters.
- Coconut oil can be omitted if you want to limit your intake of saturated fats. You can substitute coconut oil with light olive oil (not a bitter one).
- Chocolate chips or dark chocolate pieces - this may throw you out of ketosis if you are on a ketogenic diet, but if these are just part of healthy snack and you want to satisfy a sweet tooth then throw them in and your kids will love it.
Store in the freezer in a mini muffin pan or airtight container for up the 6 months.
This depends on what diet you are trying to follow. Each of the 3-ingredient fat bombs have a high fat content of 24 g of fat and 4 grams of net carbs per fat bomb, so following a balanced diet we would say about 1-3 keto fat bombs are ok to consume every day. This will depend on whether you are consuming these for weight loss, as part of a healthy keto diet and keto lifestyle, or for a boost of energy.
Coconut oil can be complextly omitted or replaced with some light olive oil or avocado oil.
Yes, they can be enjoyed in the morning or a perfect snack any time of the day.
More snack recipes
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
- Homemade Organic Dairy-Free Vanilla Milk Recipe
- Healthy Grilled Chicken Spinach Wrap
- Hidden Veg Pasta Sauce (12 different vegetables)
- Roasted Chickpeas Salad with Avocado, Spinach & Cucumber
- Easy Spinach Wrap (Tortilla) Recipe
- Baby ABC Muffins With Apple, Banana and Carrot
- Easy And Healthy Baked Oatmeal With Chocolate Chips
- Healthy Pumpkin Pancakes with Oatmeal
3-ingredient fat bombs - Chocolate Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place in a high speed food processor the peanut butter, coconut oil and cocoa powder and any other ingredients.
- Blend until all ingredients have been incorporated.
- Two options here - either pour the mixture into a mini muffin pan and freeze or use a cookie scoop to scoop out some mixture and roll into ping pong sized balls and place on some parchment paper.
- Freeze for 2 hours and keep in freezer until you want to consume as they may soften at room temperature. You can freeze them in an airtight container or as is (in a muffin pan or on parchment paper)
- 4 grams of net carbs per peanut butter cocoa fat bomb